Thursday, June 30, 2011

100 (Attempted) Ways to Entertain a Young Toddler, Day 2: Pretend Dog

Today, I decided that Oliver and I should pretend to be dogs. I got the idea when he was crawling around under the table. I asked, "Are you a dog?" He looked at me quizzically. I said, "Let's be dogs! Arf, arf!" Oliver loves barking at dogs. He kind of laughed at me and said, "Arf, arf." I licked his hand and told him that's how doggies kiss.


He said, "Arf, arf," a couple more times, and then I decided to add to the fun. I grabbed two shallow bowls. I put water in one, and I put Reese's Puffs cereal in the other (it looked like dog food). I showed Oliver how dogs eat and drink. At first, he thought he'd eat the cereal with his hands (pictured above), but when I showed him again how dogs do it, he ate a few bites on all fours (pictured below). He especially enjoyed lapping up the water. I was relieved he was able to figure out the water thing without breathing any into his nose!

As you can see, he also made a mess like a dog!


I give our pretend play a "B." Oliver seemed to like it, but only for about a minute. I'm also not sure he completely understood what we were doing. On the plus side, it was easy, fun and free. It also feels good to spark his imagination a bit!

Below: Oliver stood up (with his mouth full) to say, "Arf, arf," to me.

No comments: