Saturday, September 3, 2011

100 (Attempted) Ways to Entertain a Young Toddler, Day 40: Unwrapping Game

I took today's Unwrapping Game from The Toddler's Busy Book again. It's pretty self-explanatory. You take your toddler's favorite toys, wrap them up, and give them to him (or her) to unwrap and discover what's inside.

I wrapped up Oliver's stuffed monkey and Duplo dog toy when Oliver wasn't looking. When I handed the packages to Oliver, he inspected them and peeled the tape back a bit, but he quickly lost interest. Even with me prompting, "What's inside?" Oliver wasn't interested. Finally, I told him there was a dog inside of the package. That did it! Oliver immediately wanted the package to open. He got the dog out in no time:

After he got the dog out of the wrapping paper, Oliver wasn't interested in the other package. Nothing I said would motivate him to explore it and open it. Nothing, that is, until I told him Monkey was in there. Suddenly, the package was interesting. Here's Oliver opening up the package with Monkey in it:

In all, this game was OK. I give it a C grade. Oliver wasn't that interested in the activity, and so it seemed like a (slight) waste of effort and supplies. I don't think we'll play it very often, but I told my husband that it would be a good idea for us to play it before Oliver's second birthday party next month. Maybe with some practice before his party, he'll be able to open presents himself!

No comments: