Monday, September 19, 2011

100 (Attempted) Ways to Entertain a Young Toddler, Day 46: Foot Trace

From blogs online to toddler activity books, I've read that kids have fun if you trace the outline of their feet. Apparently, older toddlers even have fun doing this, and they can draw in toenails after their feet are traced.

I was skeptical, and so I kept putting this activity off. Today, I decided to try it. It's so simple. Grab a piece of paper and grab a marker. Ask your toddler to stand on the paper, and trace his foot.

It didn't go so well. Oliver would stand on the paper, but I'm sure there are a lot of toddlers that won't. However, Oliver wouldn't stay on the paper for more than a few seconds:

I'd start to draw a line around his foot, and he'd run off. Rinse and repeat. This is what I ended up with:
That's not very useful. I demonstrated for Oliver how I could quickly trace my own foot.

He wasn't interested. I showed him toenails, but that didn't interest him, either. Honestly, he just had zero interest in this activity. It was as big of a flop as I'd thought it might be

The good news is, this activity wasn't a big waste of my time or our resources. It was simple to do. It just wasn't any fun. I give "Foot Trace" a D.

No comments: