Friday, August 24, 2012

Knitting Needle Container


A fellow knitter on an internet forum told me to use a Pringles can to hold my knitting needles.  When I asked her if it was tall enough, she assured me it was.  I continued this project under that assumption, but, alas, the Pringles can was *not* tall enough.

I used an empty Gerber Puffs container to hold my double pointed needles.  It worked great!  

The containers before the project:

See! I checked the sizing on the container for my double-pointed needles. Whey didn't I check the sizing of the Pringles can for my regular knitting needles? Good grief!

For this project, you need an empty container, tall enough for your needles.

You also need some scrapbook paper, ribbon, and glue. I used Modge Podge to attach the scrapbooking paper, and I used a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon.  Once, on Pinterest, I saw that you could make your own Modge Podge glue by mixing one part Elmer's glue with one part water, but I haven't tried that myself.

My supply list.  Somehow, a package of candy ended up in my shopping basket:

I cut the scrapbook paper to the height of the containers.  If you're going to trim the edges with ribbon, then your cuts just need to be approximate.  My Gerber Puffs container is cinched in the middle.  In order to fit the paper to the container, I used two pieces of paper, and I had them meet in the middle.

I brushed Modge Podge all over the container, and I pressed my scrapbook paper to the container. I used my fingers to create pleats where the container curved in.  Then, I brushed a coat of Modge Podge on top of the whole thing.  Modge Podge dries clear.


I trimmed my containers in ribbon using my hot glue gun.  It was very simple!  I created a little bow for one of the containers.

I put a dab of hot glue in one part of the bow.  Once it cooled, I poked my yarn needle into it, creating the perfect holder for my yarn needle!


I'm so bummed that the Pringles can wasn't tall enough to hold my knitting needles, but the Gerber Puffs container is *perfect* for all of my double pointed needles and yarn needle. I can now keep my needles on the side table for easy access when I'm knitting without having them scattered all over the place and unsightly.

I'm determined to do this project again with a container tall enough for my standard knitting needles. I browsed the aisles of my grocery store, and nothing jumped out at me. I have a feeling I'll have better luck at Costco. I'll be sure to update this post when I find a container that works for those!

No comments: