Saturday, August 15, 2015

Guitar Frets Baby Leg Warmers


I wanted to make some guitar fret leg warmers for part of a guitar-shaped diaper cake that I'm working on for a baby shower. I couldn't find anything with a guitar fret pattern, so I finally decided to just create my own. I used a worsted weight yarn. I also used an H hook, but my stitches are always tight, so a G hook would probably work for most people

Chain 6 in brown or tan to begin top ribbing.
Row 1: Starting from the second chain from hook, sc across (5 stitches). Chain 1 and turn.
Row 2: In back loops only, sc across (5 stitches). Chain 1 and turn.
Row 3-29: Repeat row 2, working in back loops only, to create ribbing. You can adjust the number of rows as needed to make the leg warmers wider or narrower.
Row 30: Work the final row as the previous 29 rows, except you'll be crocheting row 30 together with row 1 (be careful not to twist). This will stitch the whole thing together in the circle.

Row 1 for leg warmer frets:
On the bottom of the circle, attach your white yarn. Chain 1, and sc in the same stitch. Sc around. Slip stitch into the first stitch and change yarn to brown (30 stitches).
Row 2: Chain 1, and sc into same stitch. SC around, and slip stitch into the first stitch (30 Stitches).
Row 3-30: Repeat row 2. On the first leg warmer, I made a white stripe on rows 1, 10, 18, and 25. On the second leg warmer, I made a white strip on rows 1, 6, 11, 15, 19, 23, 26, and 29. (30 Stitches).
Row 31: Using white yarn in the final row of the leg warmer, chain 1, sc in same stitch. SC in next 7 stitches. SC next 2 stitches together. SC in next 8 stitches. SC next 2 stitches together. SC in next 8 stitches. SC final 2 stitches together. Join with slip stitch. (27 stitches).

Attach brown yarn to one of the white loops on the bottom to begin bottom ribbing. Chain 5.
Row 1: Starting from the second chain from hook, sc across (4 stitches). Slip stitch back into the next white stitch from row 31 of the main body of the leg warmer. Slip stitch again into the next white stitch from row 31. Chain 1 and turn.
Row 2: Working in back loops only, SC across the 4 stitches of row 1. Chain 1 and turn. (4 stitches).
Row 3: Working in back loops only, SC across. (4 stitches). Slip stitch into each of the next 2 white stitches from row 31. Chain 1 and turn.
Rows 4-26: Repeat rows 2-3.
Row 27: On final row, work in back loops only and SC across while also joining the last row to row 1, completing the ribbing.

Using black yarn, add knots or cross stitches to create the finger markers between the frets. Weave in ends.

When I was finished, I pulled the warmers over a piece of cardboard to create the neck of a guitar for the diaper cake.

I then attached it to the diaper cake. For the diaper cake, I watched Thom's Crafts and Treats instructions on YouTube for ideas and guidance, which you can view using this link. I made a number of changes for mine, including these frets, so I'll be sure to update my blog soon with details on how I made mine.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really this baby legwarmer is looks beautiful. It is not easy to make a Guitar Frets Baby Leg Warmers in such way. As a mother I love such clothing that will make baby's look unique and beautiful.