Monday, July 25, 2011

Meatless Monday: Pico de Gallo Tacos

One of my best friend's mother is from the Dominican Republic. She taught my friend how to make pico de gallo, and she, in turn, taught me. It's simple and tastes so fresh. I've been making it for years now (usually as a mild salsa to eat with chips), but I also make a batch of it for when I'm in the mood for a veggie taco (as opposed to a tofu taco). To be honest, I can't remember if the original recipe she taught me called for garlic or not. I don't think it did; I think I added it later (I'm kind of a garlic fiend). So, feel free to omit the garlic to be a bit more authentic, if you prefer.

These tacos don't have any kick to them whatsoever. There's no chili powder or anything in the recipe. I recommend eating them with hot sauce. My favorite is the green Tabasco!

Here's my recipe:

Pico de Gallo Tacos (serves 4):

4 roma tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
juice from 1 lime
salt to taste
8 corn tortillas
1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the roma tomatoes, onion, avocado, garlic and cilantro. Toss with the lime juice.

2. Heat oil in a deep saute pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, place the tortillas, two at a time, in the pan. Don't overlap the tortillas. Allow the tortillas to cook for a minute, and then use tongs to flip them. Cook tortillas for another minute for them to crisp up. Once cooked, remove the tortillas using the tongs, and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

3. Spoon 1/4 cup of rice onto each tortilla. Top the rice with the black beans, and then smother the rice & beans with the pico de gallo. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.


Per serving:
Calories: Approximately 500
Protein: Approximately 12 grams
Cost: Approximately $2.30

No comments: