Monday, August 30, 2010

10 Month Birthday Boy

























































































































There's no way my baby boy is ten months old today. My goodness; kids grow so quickly!

Oliver has developed a lot this month. My mom tells me kids always grow "two steps forward, one step back." Well, this month, he took two leaps forward. The biggest change is his mobility, as he consistently does his big boy crawl now. Cutest thing ever: he grunts as he crawls. My crawling, grunting baby goes everywhere, and on three separate occasions now, he has left the room I was in. Yes, it appears his separation anxiety (although still great) is decreasing.

Oliver's always been curious and smart, but now that he can get to the things he wants to see, life has become quite challenging. Oliver wants to examine outlets and loves power cords. He always wants to pull up on the oven drawer. Of course, I don't let him do those things. This is probably why they are so appealing to them. Yes, Oliver has learned the word, "no." He doesn't like it when I say no. In fact, when I say, "No!" he gives me "the lip." Then, he pretends to do something else. As soon as I relax, he tries to go back to his dangerous activities.

Let me tell you, as a 10 month old, Oliver has absolutely no fear of falling. He climbs up the stairs and then tips himself backwards. I'm always there to catch him. Then, on our bed, he crawls off the edge (two feet down!). He hasn't actually fallen off of it, but I'll keep my hands on his waist, and he'll crawl right off the edge. I ask you, when do babies learn about height/falling?!

Oliver's sleeping pattern has continued to improve this month. He goes to bed around 7pm and (usually) wakes up once around 3am or 4am. Sometimes, it's been difficult to get him to go back to sleep, but he usually does and then sleeps until 5:30 or 6:00. He naps one to two times a day, usually for 45 minutes. He naps on his mattress on the floor, not in the crib. This has made his nap time much easier for me.

His eating is also slowly improving. Instead of just eating Cheerios, he'll now eat jarred green beans and turkey again. He'll also eat his "organic spinach puffs." The only food I make that he eats is a vegetable penne pasta dish. When Andrew and I eat that for dinner, I blend some up for the Ollie Bear, and he digs it. There are a few other foods, like peanut butter toast and turkey dogs, that he'll eat a few pieces of before dismissing. He still loves water! As far as nursing goes, I'd estimate he nurses 5 times a day (for my reference: 6pm, 3am, 6am, 9:30am, 2pm).

In general, this new stage Oliver is in is a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work. From birth to 8 months, things with Oliver consistently got easier and easier. Last month, we started to face a few new challenges, and now, life with Oliver is arduous again. I love being Oliver's mom. He always makes me laugh, and I thrive on making him giggle. However, I look forward to the coming months when I don't have to worry every single moment about what Oliver's getting into!

Oliver's likes:
*Babbling
*Seeing Dad come home
*Cuddling with Mom
*Turning the pages of his baby books
*Listening to The Alphabet Song and watching us sign the letters
*Throwing books
*Pulling out baby wipes from the wipe holder
*Pulling himself up to a stand using chairs, tables, and bookshelves
*Climbing up on Mom
*Dancing with Mom, especially getting "dipped"
*Getting his cheeks smooched
*Listening to music
*Batting toilet paper
*Rolling and kicking his soccer ball
*Watching us bounce his soccer ball
*Water
*Dad's wireless keyboard
*Buckles of all kinds (belt buckles, high chair buckles, car seat buckles, etc.)
*Playing "in and out" with the laundry in the laundry basket and dresser drawers

Dislikes:
*Being alone
*Having toys taken away
*Being told, "No!"
*Not being able to do something physically (like pull heavy jeans out of the laundry basket or move a heavy object)
*Diaper changes
*Clothing changes

No comments: