Monday, September 27, 2010

We Don't Need No Stinking Bottles!






Oliver started learning how to drink from a cup at about five months old. We'd hold the cup and tip it for him, and he'd take sips. After a few months of practicing, he was able to hold the cup and tip it himself. He wouldn't tip it back up every time he was done drinking, though, and so we had to be there to tip it back up for him so he wouldn't choke.

It's been about a month since he's really perfected the art of tipping the cup down to drink and back up to stop. That is, he's perfected it enough for us to hand him his cup of water with confidence. He still frequently tips it too much and gets water all over the front of his clothes, of course. I give him a cup of water 2-3 times a day before I change his clothes (because I know I'm going to have to change them after they get soaked!).

It helps, of course, that he loves water! I'm very glad we stared with cup drinking early because now I don't have to worry about having sippy cups at all.

No comments: