Thursday, September 12, 2013

Challah for Rosh Hashanah!

We're not Jewish, but I couldn't help but ogle all of the beautiful foods people were posting online last weekend for Rosh Hashanah. I decided to try to make our own challah! I love baking, and I have the best baking assistant ever--my 3 year old! Unfortunately, we haven't done well with bread. I don't know if it is us or our altitude (5,280 ft), but my breads always come out either too dense or too cake-like.

On Allrecipes.com, I found a recipe for high altitude challah. It came out beautifully. The recipe recommended braiding the bread with 3 or 4 strands, but we ended up braiding it with 5. I looked up a video on YouTube to braid our challah. Yum! We ate it with a little butter a couple hours after we took it out of the oven, and, the next day, we used it to make toast for breakfast.

                                         


No comments: