Thursday, April 17, 2008

Disney Half Marathon

There's a Walt Disney World half-marathon on January 10, and I want to run it! Participants run through all the parks (Epcot, Wild Animal Kingdom, MGM, Magic Kingdom), and, at the finish, runners get a Mickey Mouse medal.

It'll take a lot of training. I love to jog, but I only jog a mile or two unless I'm running in a 5k with my mom. I don't think I've ever run more than 2 miles at once without talking a walk break! Also, my knees tend to get really sore at the end of a 5k, so I'd probably have to do strength training as well to be able to run much further than that. Thankfully, the apartment complex has a gym. Its hours aren't ideal (9 to 5 during the week at 10 to 5 on Saturdays), but, hey, it's free!

In 2005, I walked a half marathon for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk. I wish I could remember my time! I was one of the top few finishers, but that was because they served lunch, and I didn't stop long to eat. At the end of the half marathon, they drove us to camp. After sitting in the bus, I couldn't walk another step. My knees hurt a *lot*. That's something I'll have to watch during my training.

Runners have to average a 16 minute mile at the Disney half marathon, or else you're booted and transported to the finish line. That's a 3 hour 30 minute half marathon (gulp). They have a check point every mile. If a runner is not at the first mile marker at 16 minutes, the second one at 32 minutes, etc., they're booted.

I chose the Disney World half marathon in January over the Disneyland one in August because it gives me 9 months to train.

I decided to blog about this because it'll help hold me accountable. It'll be harder to chicken out if I have people watching my progress and people who know my ultimate goal! Registration opens September 1, and I want to be able to run 5 miles by then (that's a big goal for me!). If I'm at that point, I'm going to register for the half marathon. Then there'll be no going back!

Where I stand now:
Currently, I jog once a week, and I stop after about a mile or so. I'm going to have to start stepping it up! Today, I walked/ran 2.25 miles in 29 minutes. I did the math, and I averaged exactly a 12.8 minute mile.

Current goals:
Next Sunday (Julie's birthday!) is the Cherry Creek Sneak 5k. I setting a goal of 45 minutes, but I'll be really, really happy with myself if I can polish it off within 40.

Saturday, I'm going to jog with my mom, and on Tuesday, I'll time myself on the treadmill. I'll do the 3.1 miles and then stick to walking until the 5k on 27th.

I'll be sure to keep you updated with my progress!

No comments: