Monday, March 21, 2011

Oliver's 2nd Music Class

Oliver accompanied me to parent-tot music class this morning. He napped for about twenty minutes in the car before class, but then I had to wake him so we wouldn't be late. That made for a rough start. He just wanted to lay in my arms like a baby. We walked into the classroom, and he was overwhelmed with the sight of two other kids in the room and started crying. The teacher commented, "He cries like a little baby!" Thank you.

It took Oliver about twenty minutes to get over his clinginess to me. Again, the other kids ran around and played, and the smaller kids crawled around the room. Oliver really didn't leave my side until close to the end of class.

He liked the parts where I held him and danced; he hated the parts where the teacher talked. He finally started having a good time when he got to put away instruments and props. I gave him our scarves and asked him to put them in the teacher's bag. He left my side, walked across the room, and put the scarves in the bag. I told him what a good boy he is. The teacher set that bag down by the table and picked up another one full of maracas. She handed them out, and Oliver thought they were OK. When maraca time was over, I asked him to go put his back in the bag. Instead of walking up to the teacher, he went to the table where the bag of scarves were. It was pretty cute. There were only a few minutes left in the class, but Oliver felt brave enough to roam the room after that (always looking back for me to make sure I was still there).

The end of class made me feel more confident that he will eventually enjoy the class. Next week, there is no class, so his adjustment will probably start all over again in April, but I don't think it'll be too much longer before he starts to like music class.

No comments: