Tuesday, August 2, 2011

100 (Attempted) Ways to Entertain a Young Toddler, Day 27: Airplane!

Airplane is a classic game for toddlers. If you've never played, you lay down on your back on a flat surface. You hold on to your toddler's armpits and put your feet under their pelvic bone, supporting their weight. Without going too crazy (as their necks still aren't as strong as an adult's), you make them "fly" above you.

I don't play this very often with Oliver. In fact, I'd forgotten about it until last week, when I caught him playing airplane with Monkey (his favorite stuffed animal). I decided that must mean he really likes the game, so I've been playing it more and more with him this week. It wasn't until today that it occurred to me to make a blog entry about it.

I play airplane on the bed. We have a large, king-sized bed, and I appreciate knowing there is extra padding under Oliver in case I manage to drop him or something. I have him soar above me, and he yells, "Zoom!" After a few seconds, I announce, "Oh, no! There's turbulence!" I gently bump him up and down and side to side as he laughs with glee. We'll go back to soaring, and I'll throw in the occasional turbulence.

I give airplane an A.
The game doesn't last long because my muscles tire easily. Still, even in that 1-2 minute period, Oliver has the time of his life and laughs his adorable, toddler laugh. The only downside is the potential danger of dropping your kid or shaking him too violently. As long as you're careful, the game is a blast.

I'll be sure to post some pictures soon!

No comments: