Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Still Too Short for the Crib











I was so worried about going to Chicago because of Oliver's sleeping habits. He had been absolutely refusing to sleep for me. I'd even walk or nurse him completely to sleep, and then I'd try laying him down, and he'd cry before he even hit the mattress.

As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about. Oliver went down for his naps and bedtime easily for me there (Although he woke up at night very frequently! At least I was able to put him back down). I finally decided it must be the low Pack 'N Play. It's low enough where I didn't have to heave him upward before lowering him down onto the mattress. In fact, I was able to bend at the waist and gently lay him down.

This morning, I went to put him down for his nap, the first one I've done since returning from Chicago. He was tired and crabby, and he fell asleep on my shoulder. I lifted his legs up to get them on the other side of the railing, and he started crying. Bah!

Then I had a great idea. I took the mattress out of the crib and set it on the floor. I eased Oliver down on that, and he fell straight asleep. His room is baby-proofed, so I'm not concerned about him up there outside of the crib. At night, I'll put the mattress back in the crib, and Andrew can put him to sleep in there for overnights.

No comments: