Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Night Away

After a medical procedure, my husband has been put on three days of bed rest. I'm so lucky to have my parents and in-laws nearby because I don't know what I'd do to juggle two little kids and my husband's needs all by myself.

Grandma Colleen and Grandpa Paul stepped in and took Oliver all day yesterday. They took him to Monkey Bizness and to McDonald's, where he played in the play area. He also went to the mall!

Grandma Judy and Grandpa Larry were scheduled to take Oliver all day today, and then Oliver was going to go back over to visit Grandma Judy tomorrow because she has the day off for President's Day. He got to play at the park and go to McDonald's again! What a lucky boy. My mom suggested that he stay the night there rather than getting driven home tonight and driven back there in the morning. I was so torn, but, after talking it over with Andrew, decided to go ahead and do it.

We stayed the night away from Oliver when Jo was born. That was difficult, but I was so busy with our new baby that the time flew by. He stayed at our home where he's familiar, and grandparents came and stayed with him. Before that, the last time he'd had an overnight was for our wedding anniversary in August. Even then, we left in the evening and were back by 9am.

Tonight's been a little rough on me. I feel like it was a good choice for him to stay at his grandparents' house, as it's really made the evening pretty easy for me instead of really difficult. Joanna got so much attention from us today, too! I mean, she always gets attention, but our focus is also constantly half on Oliver. It was nice to just have her up on the bed with Andrew and me all evening to coo at her and play with her and watch her try to roll over.

But I miss Oliver. I keep wondering if he's OK without his mommy and daddy. Is he a little scared? Wondering how long he'll be gone for?

About twenty minutes ago, my mom called and told me Oliver took a bubble bath and loved it. She then asked Oliver if he wanted to say hello to me. I heard his little voice and started sobbing like a baby. It didn't help that he said, "Uff you, Mommy." Oh, Oliver, I love you, too.

Two nights ago, when we were reading bed time books, he reached over and gave me a kiss and told me he loved me. That was the first time he'd ever said he loved someone without being prompted first. It feels so amazing to hear. Man, motherhood is the best thing ever. It's just so hard being away from my little man!

At the same time, when I think about him coming back home tomorrow, I think, "But I haven't even gotten all the laundry done yet!" It's funny what a dichotomy of thoughts I have, as one moment he can't get home soon enough, and the next moment I think I could just use a little more time...

Our son is growing up. I think spending nights away from him will get easier as he gets older. Once I can tell him, "I'll see you in the morning," and I know he understands exactly what that means, then I think it'll be easier to take a night off.

No comments: