Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pinterest Challenge Day 8: Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Mousse

I have a whole board on Pinterest dedicated to healthier versions of desserts. I love to bake and create with my son, but our house just doesn't need decadent treats around 24/7.

Today, I decided to try another one of the pins (I did one for the first day of this challenge). I chose "Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Mousse." My pin for it is here:
http://pinterest.com/pin/216383957066167007/

I doubled the recipe to use my whole package of silken tofu (yes, using silken is a must!). I tossed the whole package of silken tofu in the food processor and combined it with a splash of soy milk, a teaspoon of vanilla, a teaspoon of cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and a small scoop of sugar (Oliver did the scoop, and it was a little less than a tablespoon).

We melted a cup and a half of dark chocolate chips on the stove top and blended it in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients. It turned out beautifully, and it had the texture of pudding:

Then came the taste test! I'd be lying if I said there was no soy taste to it, but it was surprisingly mild. For example, power bars have a strong metallic taste to them, right? This just had a minor, background flavor of soy that I actually stopped tasting after a few bites (I guess my taste buds adjusted). Overwhelmingly, what I tasted was chocolate, and it was good. Oliver agreed:

I am definitely making this again, no doubt in my mind. My favorite part was how filling it was. You know how you eat a cookie, and then you eat another and another, and you discover you could literally eat the whole package? Yeah, this mousse doesn't do that. I poured 5 servings, and I was full by the end of it. This dessert made me feel satiated, which is a huge plus in my book!

No comments: