Friday, February 10, 2012

Pinterest Challenge Day 10: Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas

I pinned an interesting looking enchilada recipe from my "cousin-in-law" (really, that should be a thing): http://pinterest.com/pin/216383957066126956/. It's built like a lasagna.

As you'd expect, this recipe took a lot of time, what with all the chopping and all. On easy days at home, I don't mind working hard on dinner, just as long as it's good.

So, I chopped all the veggies. I roasted the veggies (they did not take 30-40 minutes). I stacked everything like a lasagna. Halfway through the procedure, I realized it wouldn't fit in the 9" x 9" pan. I had to decide whether to waste some or rebuild it in a 9 x 13" pan. I rebuilt it. Here's mine before sticking it in the oven:

And here are the photos of the final product:

It tasted pretty good. Well, it tasted OK. It was fine. My husband liked it a lot and asked me to make it again, but he recommended I chop the veggies even smaller next time. For me, the roasted vegetable flavor was too strong. I know, why complain about roasted vegetable flavor in a roasted vegetable dish? I'm a goober like that. Here's the thing: I love veggies, and the stronger the flavor, the better. Give me broccoli and kale any day of the week. But I guess I'm not as big of a fan of the whole roasted bit. When veggies start to blacken on the grill and such... well, I guess that is for some people.

To me, the recipe wasn't great, and because it took a lot of work, I wouldn't be inclined to make it again. My husband's enjoyment of it ensures I probably will make it again, though, but probably with a few changes. I'll dice the veggies even smaller, as he'd requested, and I wouldn't roast them nearly as long. I'd probably add some beans in the mix, too, because I like beans, and I think this recipe could have used some.

In all, this recipe is a lot of work for what it is. It's probably worth it if you like roasted veggies or are trying to add more vegetables into your diet. Otherwise, if you want to go for a much easier, admittedly less-healthy Mexican casserole that is still vegetarian friendly, I recommend this one: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-vegetarian-casserole-10000000521062/. We had a friend bring us that after Jo was born, and it was delicious!

No comments: